Hymn

ENGLISH LYRICS

1.  O Jesus, I have promised
   To serve Thee to the end;
   Be thou for ever near me,
   My Master and my Friend:
   I shall not fear the battle
   If Thou art by my side,
   Nor wander from the pathway
   If Thou wilt be my Guide.

2. O let me feel Thee near me,
   The world is ever near;
   I see the sights that dazzle
   The tempting sounds I hear,
   My foes are ever near me,
   Around, me and within;
   But, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
   And shield my soul from sin.

3. O let me hear Thee speaking
   In accents clear and still,
   Above the storms of passion,
   The murmurs of self-will,
   O speak to reassure me,
   To chasten or control;
   O speak, and make me listen,
   Thou Guardian of my soul.

4. O Jesus, Thou hast promised,
   To all who follow Thee,
   That where Thou art in glory
   There shall Thy servant be;
   And, Jesus, I have promised
   To serve Thee to the end:
   O give me grace to follow,
   My Master and my Friend.

5. O let me see Thy footmarks
   And in them plant mine own;
   My hope to follow duly
   Is in Thy strength alone
   O guide me, call me, draw me,
   Uphold me to the end
   And then in heaven receive me,
   My saviour and my Friend.

Amen

YORUBA LYRICS

Bi enikeni ba nsin mi ki o ma to mi lehin. Jn. 12:26. 

1. Jesu, mo ti se ‘leri 
   Lati sin O d’opin; 
   Ma wa l’odo mi titi, 
   Baba mi, Ore mi; 
   Emi k’y’o beru ogun 
   B’iwo ba sunmo mi, 
   Emi ki yo si sina 
   B’O ba f’ona han mi. 

2. Je ki nmo p’O sunmo mi 
   Tori ‘baje aye; 
   Aye fe gba okan mi, 
   Aye fe tan mi je; 
   Ota yi mi kakiri, 
   L’ode ati ninu; 
   Sugbon Jesu sunmo mi, 
   Dabobo okan mi. 

3. Jeki nma gbo ohun Re, 
   B’O ti mba mi soro, 
   Larin iji idanwo, 
   Aso at’agidi; 
   So, mu ko da mi loju, 
   K’okan mi ni ‘janu; 
   So, si mu mi gbo Tire, 
   ‘Wo Olutoju mi. 

4. Jesu,’wo ti se’leri 
   F’awon t’o tele O, 
   Pe ibikibi t’O wa 
   N’iranse Re yo wa; 
   Jesu, mo ti se ‘leri 
   Lati sin O dopin, 
   Je ki nle to O leyin, 
   Baba mi, Ore mi. 

5. Jeki nma ri ‘pase Re 
   Ki nle ma tele O; 
   Nipa ‘gbara Re nikan, 
   Ni mo le tele O: 
   To mi, pe mi, si fa mi, 
   Di mi mu de opin; 
   Si gba mi si odo Re, 
   Baba mi, Ore mi. 
Amin. 

Composed by: John Ernest Bode